About Me

My photo
I'm a Christian, married to a wonderful man, Steven, and mother to a wonderful little son. I have many interests and a few noteworthy journeys in life and I enjoy sharing them.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sponsoring Mary Riziki (Destiny)

Psalm 91

 1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
   will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
   my God, in whom I trust.”  3 Surely he will save you
   from the fowler’s snare
   and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
   and under his wings you will find refuge;
   his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
   nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
   nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
   ten thousand at your right hand,
   but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
   and see the punishment of the wicked.
 9 If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,”
   and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
   no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
   to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
   so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
   you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
 14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him;
   I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
   I will be with him in trouble,
   I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
   and show him my salvation.”


I've been thinking of sponsoring a child for a while, but things like moving kept getting in the way of finances. Now that we've settled down into our new home and gotten use to the financial changes (and I happened to get my yearly raise to make it even easier), I decided it was time to contribute to making a child's life better. I went through Rehema Ministries, as recommended by my sister-in-law. The founders and main office are located in Anacortes, WA, which isn't far from where I live.

I got on the website tonight and started scrolling through the photo gallery looking at unsponsored and partially sponsored children. I knew I couldn't do the full $150.00 sponsorship, but I knew I could give enough to make a difference in a child's life--get them vaccines and shoes, if nothing else.

I kept seeing captivating smiles and beautiful big brown eyes. All the stories are touching, some more tragic than others. A few of the children had outright been tortured before being either abandoned or taken into custody. I almost chose two of them--started filling out the form for them and everything--but kept feeling like it might not be the right child.

I paused and said a quick prayer after the second child I almost chose that didn't feel quite right. Almost immediately after I found Mary Riziki (which means Destiny), who has a tragic story of incestuous rape before she was even a year old. Her father is now in prison for it, and her mother is mentally unstable and unable to care for her, so she landed in the orphanage.

I almost cried reading her story, and I've been shaking since. I can't believe someone would do that do their own little baby, and I'm so grateful to have the chance to make a difference in her life. I pray she was young enough when it happened to her that it won't be a constant part of her life anymore than it has to be, and I hope my contribution helps keeps her healthy, happy, and educated as she grows. I hope very much to stick around to see her become a young, happy, independent woman.

She is the orphanage's 91st child, and so they say her scripture/song is Psalm 91. Considering her tragic history in her already very short life, I think the Psalm is appropriate. I hope she remembers all her life that God is her fortress and her refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment