About Me

My photo
I'm a Christian, married to a wonderful man, Steven, and mother to a wonderful little son. I have many interests and a few noteworthy journeys in life and I enjoy sharing them.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Meetings With the Missionaries: 5/8/14

Sorry this one is late. This was a particularly interesting meeting, too.

They were doing exchanges, so one of the regular sisters wasn't with us. I really liked the young woman that came instead. She was very friendly. I handed them my new list of questions, and they didn't run for cover upon reading through them, so that's a good start.

Sister M, one of the regulars, wanted to know what I thought about some of questions I had given them last week before they give me their answers. The first she asked was what I thought we would need a modern day prophet for. My answer was straightforward: I don't believe we need a modern day prophet, because the revelation we need is complete in the Bible.

The second she brought up was my question about why the priesthood wouldn't have been passed on. Here I explained that my belief in what the priesthood is is different than theirs. I briefly explained the universal priesthood, reading 1 Peter 2:5, and explained that all believers received this priesthood by virtue of being indwelt by the Holy Spirit, which gives us God's power and authority. She asked how the priesthood is received, and I said that all who are saved receive it.

This began an interesting and important discussion about how one is saved.

Sister M: What is salvation?
Me: Salvation is being saved from death, sin, and hell and to heaven and life with God through faith in Jesus.
Sister M: So you only have to believe to be saved?
Me: Yes.
Here I read Ephesians 2:8-9 for them, which they had obviously not considered before. There was a thoughtful silence.
Visiting sister: So...what if someone believes in Jesus, and then goes out and murders someone?
Me: If someone becomes a murderer, do y think they really have faith in Jesus?
Visiting sister: No.
Me: Exactly. Real faith changes a person. Real faith works. But like that verse I just read to you says, it's the faith that saves.

They had a few more questions about the concept, punctuated by long thoughtful silences as they tried to digest what I was saying. Then my baby got fussy, so they left with the promise of another meeting at the same time in a week.

I was both surprised and pleased by the direction that the meeting went. It was very unplanned, but understanding salvation is obviously important. I plan on putting together a few more verses on the idea for them to look up and consider before the next meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment